Thursday, December 20, 2018

Time Capsule Letter (WARNING--THE INTERESTING PART IS NOT FOR A WHILE...oops)

A letter?  To my future self?  Oh no.  Okay, let's see what I come up with.

Dear 30-Year Old Self,

Hi.  Nice to meet you (does that even make sense?).  So I'm currently in a classroom typing up a blog post for English class.  Mostly wondering what on Earth I'll even be doing in thirty years.  A lot of things I guess, but I'm mostly wondering about what I'll be doing job wise.  When I was kid (But you probably already know this right?  Doesn't matter, I'll say it anyway.) I wanted to be a lawyer, an author, or a scientist.  Not sure what I what to do at this point, honestly.  But I digress.

Currently I'm in ninth grade.  I just moved to Park City this summer after finishing the six (five?) month long trip.  It's only December, and we came back in August, but I'm already getting the travel bug again.  At the moment I really want to go to Bhutan (and manyyyyyyy other places).  I saw it on an episode of a travel show (Expedition Unknown) a month or so ago, and now I reallllllllllllllllllllly want to go.  It's got the cultural factors of Laos and the nature of Nepal (some of my favorite countries in Asia).  Oh, look, I'm digressing again (I notice a theme).

Okay, what else do I have to tell you...um...well it's Christmas in a couple days.  I asked for mostly stuff to redo my room with, like cute wall hangings and a new comforter for my bed.  And...um....I also asked for candy....

Well, here's something.  I still in Junior High (!!!!!).  Apparently here ninth grade is part of junior high, or at least it's on that campus.  STILL bitter.

I feel really stupid now.  I've spent a while trying to come up with something interesting to write about, THEN I REALIZED THAT I HAVE SPENT HALF THE YEAR TRAVELING THE WORLD SO YEAH I THINK I PROBABLY HAVE AN INTERESTING STORY THERE SOMEWHERE.

Hmm.............what stressful story should I write about?  Oh, I know.  So about halfway through the trip, we were flying back to America for one week in order to attend my uncle's wedding.  Our plan was to fly from Grenada (a town in Spain) to Paris one afternoon, and the following day to fly from Paris to Salt Lake City.  Great.  Well we walked into the Grenada airport and immediately saw that our Paris flight had been canceled (great).

Our parents were running around trying to find a way to get to America in time, while  my brother, sister and I sat down on the airport floor (which was suspiciously wet) next to the plugs (you learn to appreciate any power charge when you are traveling 24/7--also we are spoiled twenty first century children).

In the end the five of us squeezed into a small (and I mean small) rental car and drove to Madrid.  We had to wake up the next morning and catch a flight to New York.   From New York we had a plane to Salt Lake City.  Our travel was somewhat complicated by all the security issues we encountered though.  I was flagged for extra security (apparently I'm super suspicious--unclear why) which meant I had to take the longer line, and also wait for twenty minutes while they looked through all of my possessions (when I say all, I really do mean all--remember our trip was about six months long).

More information about this little mishap can be found here.  At the time, all any of us wanted was to get to America, but honestly, part of me is glad it happened.  It's a fun story :)

So anyway, it's been an eventful year for me, probably one of my favorite years of my life.  So yeah.  Bye thirty year old me.

~Kate (age 14)

No comments:

Post a Comment